My dad once said to me, "You give a lot of books three stars." I do.
Ah! I'm so mad! But in a good way...
I waited seven years for this book and then read it in about a day and now I just have to wait some more for the sixth book.
Also the book was really good. Like, yes, it's a standalone story (-ish), but I still got really invested in it and it was almost as good a read as the others and it brought up a lot of things I've had questions about this whole time. I have to switch to the read more now because I want to be more specific than this. Spoilers are free game following the cut.
1. Were we supposed to be surprised when the Attolian turned out to be Costis? Because it was pretty clear it was Costis from the beginning. I would have been more surprised if he had turned out to be someone else.
2. Costis and Kamet? Totally dating, right? Also Riz Ahmed for Kamet. Yes? Fingers crossed for canon gay characters in the next book.
3. Not a fan of the poetry. Until it was brought back at the end and then it was like, dammit, I'm a fan.
4. I saw a lot of the twists coming. I think that's because once you reach a certain point in the series the books spoil each other (see also The Thief and The King of Attolia) The misdirection did feel a little heavy handed at times, but that could be that I've hit the saturation point rereading all the books so quickly.
5. There was a point in reading this book that I was worried it was just all going to be filler. I had faith though and everything turned out fine in the end bringing the story back to the characters/situations the first four books followed. Though I wish Eddis and Sounis had shown up somewhere.
6. I will have to go back and reread parts because I'm a little confused on the timeline of some of the events in this book. I think I'm mostly confused about how much time passed between The Thief and The Queen of Attolia... also the character's ages. There are references to time passing and years reigned, I just don't have it all straight in my head (especially since KoA and CoK overlap timelines).
6a. I reread a few passages from TaT and the timeline makes way more sense. I was just confused by a couple of descriptions.