An Un-Calibrated Centrifuge

My dad once said to me, "You give a lot of books three stars." I do.

SPOILER ALERT!

Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro

Spoilers ahead

I've read this book before, but I can't remember when. Probably around 2010 when I think I bought the book.

I remember feeling vaguely disappointed in it. It felt like a really bad mystery. I guessed all the twists way before they were revealed.

Rereading I kept wondering if they were supposed to be twists? Everything just feels so laid out for the reader. Not in a bad way, but just in a non-mysterious way.

The book left me with a lot of questions. Mostly about the race of the characters. Only one character is described as being not-white (George at the end is black and Nigerian). All the other characters are described minimally. Because of this (and the movie) I'd assume that most people read all the characters as white but bringing a racial aspect into it would make the story more interesting.

Also the science and exact method behind donation is very vague and handwavy. I don't think I'd want more explained to me since it's not necessary to the book but I did occasionally find myself distracted thinking about the nature of donation (do you have to pay? is it an NHS service? why living clones and not just growing organs?)

That said, I enjoyed the book more than I thought I would. It's repetitive, especially towards the end. And the story moves very slowly. But it's the kind of book that you want to read slowly. I was never tempted to try and speed the story up or skip any parts. There are parts that might bother some readers - Kathy's speculation of the other characters' motivations comes to mind.

Now that I've finished this I really want to reread all my books set in boarding schools (that aren't Harry Potter).